We might be moving to Papua New Guinea.
My wife had a promising interview for a 2- or 3-year position as an advisor. We think she’s going to get the job but are waiting for definite confirmation from the powers that be, who are taking their sweet time. So we are kinda nervous.
The position is in Lae, which is apparently a lot like the previous place we lived in the Pacific (Honiara), but the criminals have guns. Security is a big issue there, but we’re told it’s safe if you are careful. Last time we had guards and lived behind barbed wire fences in a compound, so I am guessing this will be much the same, except you also need guards when you go out, sometimes.
We’ll be going over for a scouting tour in May maybe, and then unless it looks totally unliveable, moving over there in June or July. I’m hoping we can delay it until August or Septeber, because I had a conference lined up in July, in Greece, and I don’t want to miss out on that.
If she gets it I’m going to do an online masters degree in social research and business ethics.
If she doesn’t I’m gonna, um, do that anyway, I think, part-time.
Anyway I wish they’d let us know because not knowing if you are moving to a new country in three months time is kinda stressful. I have a feeling they are going to tell us in April and then say “position starts in June.” Because that is the sort of thing they do.
So that’s what’s on my mind lately.