Back in the pp.com days, one of the most active threads was Aaron’s ‘What are you listening to right now?’ so I guess this is a lame attempt to fire up the joint.
I just drove to Montreal and it was nice to drive for the 5+ hours listening to a handful of CDs I grabbed on my way out of the door. I’m by myself, so I didn’t have to bring any kids’ CD (but since I make most of their mix CDs anyway, they are usually OK). It was also nice to indulge in listening to the CDs all the way through. When I started doing my podcast several years ago, it changed the way I listen to music. Now I listen to a lot more music from a lot more bands, but I don’t give a song much of a chance to grow on me. If I’m not captivated by two or three listens, it is gone. That also means I’m listening to songs as individual entities rather than albums as coherent collections/statements. So on my way out the door, I grabbed these CDs:
– Swell Maps, Jane from Occupied Europe (fucking brilliant, even 30 years on)
– Jammie Dodgers, Skive Off (it comes with an ‘audio zine’ at the end which is surprisingly good)
– Imperial Can, Hey Fuckers (Chris Clavin is a one trick pony, but I fucking love that trick)
– Fountains of Wayne, Fountains of Wayne (has also held up surprisingly well)
– a mix CD a friend made that kinda sucked but had a few good Camper Van Beethoven songs on it.
So what about you?